New Moon, New Year… Make It Count.
Happy New Year! Oh, and Happy New Moon too!
Wait, what? That’s right. It’s January 1st and tomorrow is the first new moon of 2022. Why does that matter?
Because like the ocean, we are made up primarily of water. As a result, we are impacted by the moon and its phases. History, folklore, and stories from our ancestors tell us how to align ourselves with the natural cycles of life, including the moon, and make the most of these awesome guides.
The earth and our seasons tell us when to plant, when to harvest, and when to rest. But what about our emotional and spiritual crops? How do we know when to start, stop, or modify our efforts?
One way, is to be intentional around the moon phases.
When you think about it, it just makes sense.
A “new” moon suggests new beginnings in its name alone, but also in its appearance. We see the tiniest sliver of the moon at this time before it begins to “grow” again right before our eyes. The waxing moon are the two weeks following the new moon when it increases in visibility leading up to the full moon. The full moon suggests completion. Having reached its “goal” of achieving full visibility, the moon is ready to enter its waning phase. And slowly, but surely, it’s visibility decreases over the next two weeks until it’s just a sliver: a new moon.
Recognizing the perfect pattern of these phases and aligning your practices with them is a great way to not only be mindful of your goals, efforts, and their outcomes, but to also be intentional in your choice to stay the course, make changes, or release the things that are no longer in your favor.
The New Year is a time of resolutions, vision boards, and goal setting which is in sync with the energy of the new moon. To make the most of it, follow these quick and easy steps. (Of course, take what resonates with you and leave the rest. It’s all about what works for you and each of us is different.)
- Write out your intentions and goals. Make sure they are clear and concise. (More words tends to indicate your own doubting.)
- Write your goals and intentions in present tense. You aren’t “trying” nor “will” you do anything. You ARE and HAVE them in the present.
- Sit with your intentions, close your eyes, and visualize them happening. Seriously, picture it as if it is happening right now.
- Now, FEEL what it is like to have and be whatever you wrote. This is a critical part of the practice because your mind doesn’t know the difference between reality and imagination. Your emotional state shifts the energy and signals that you are ready to have what you say you desire. Let yourself SEE good things happening for you and FEEL the joy in it.
- Take consistent action daily to create the things you desire. You’ve told the universe and God what you want; now, act like it.
In two weeks, when the full moon arrives, assess where you are in your goals and make the adjustments necessary. (Yes, I’ll write a quick note about that too.)
This is why the New Year and the New Moon matter. So get busy creating the life you desire for yourself in 2022. It’s completely up to you!
Be Amazing. Be Light. Be Love.